The Ultimate Guide to UNCW Seahawks Basketball for Students
The Student’s Guide to University of North Carolina Wilmington Basketball
Basketball hoop, photo by J.Smith via Wikipedia
This is the ultimate guide to University of North Carolina Wilmington basketball. If you’re a new student trying to learn about the team, or a longtime fan just wanting to know more, we answer some of the most common questions about UNCW basketball. In this guide, you’ll learn who coaches the Seahawks, where their home court is, where to find the schedules, and how to get tickets. All of that information and more can be found right here in our UNCW Seahawks basketball guide for students and fans.
- Mascot: Seahawk
- Conference: Colonial Athletic Association (CAA)
- Division: Division I NCAA
- Colors: Teal, Gold, and Navy
The UNCW Seahawks men’s basketball team played their first season in 1976. The team played independently outside of any established conference until they joined the CAA in 1984. Their performance in the CAA has been admirable, having won multiple CAA tournaments and the NCAA tournaments in 2016 and 2017. The UNCW women’s basketball team made their debut in 1979.
Sammy C. Hawk, the UNCW Seahawks mascot, Photo by UNCW/Autumn Beam via Wikimedia uncwsports.com. On that website, you can find the men’s basketball schedule and women’s basketball schedule. From there, you’ll find details on event locations, times, and opponents.
- Student Tickets: Student tickets are free for the first 1,200 UNCW full-time students. To pick up a ticket, students should bring their student ID to the UNCW Athletic Ticket Office. Free tickets are available from five days prior until three hours prior to the scheduled game. After the initial allotment of 1,200 student tickets has been picked up, the cost rises to $10. Any remaining student tickets will be available for pickup at the student gate at Trask Coliseum beginning 90 minutes before game time.
- General Admission Tickets: Men’s basketball tickets for the general public cost $18 for adults and $10 for youth 15 years and under. Women’s basketball tickets cost $7 for adults and $2 for youth 15 years and under. Tickets for either men’s or women’s basketball can be purchased online from the UNCW Seahawks ticket website or at the box office at gates A and D 1.5 hours before the game.
- Ticket Office Hours and Phone: Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m., (910) 962-3233 or (800) 808-UNCW
- UNCW Employees: The staff and faculty are eligible for free admission to all home games. General admission costs will be applied for away games. Employees are also eligible to receive discounted season tickets by calling the ticket office.
- Head Coach: C.B. McGrath
- Assistant Coach: Doug Esleeck
- Assistant Coach: Jackie Manuel
- Assistant Coach: Joe Wolf
- Director of Operations: Rob Burke
Women’s Basketball Coaches::
- Head Coach: Karen Barefoot
- Assistant Coach: Tina Martin
- Assistant Coach: David Caputo
- Assistant Coach: Brittany Morris
- Director of Operations: Patti Raduenz
2017–18 Coaches. For coach updates, visit the UNCW Athletic Staff Directory.
- Basketball season at UNCW kicks off with a special event known as Midnight Madness. The event includes performances by the dance team, a dunking contest, team scrimmages, and previews of the year’s talent.
- During February’s homecoming week, the homecoming king and queen are announced at halftime of the men’s basketball game.
- The student section is nicknamed the Screamin’ Seahawks, where students are known for being loud and proud. Students cheer the fight song along with the dance team.
It's blue, teal, gold for me.
Champions of land and sea.
The Seahawk team
we proudly hail,
Our Seahawk pride
will never fail.
Hail to thee, O mighty Seahawks.
On to victory!
- Address: 601 S. College Road, Wilmington, NC 28403
- Parking: Parking is available in the K Lot Extension, in the lot adjacent to Trask Coliseum, and in overflow parking between Boseman Field and the Harold Greene Track and Field Complex.
- Box Office: Opens 1.5 hours prior to the game at gates A and D.
- Capacity: 5,200 seats
Front entrance to Trask Coliseum, Photo by Edward Orde via Wikipedia @uncwmensbasketball / @uncwwomenshoops
Twitter: @uncwmenshoops / @uncwwomenshoops
Instagram: @uncwbasketball / @uncwwomenshoops